English Summative

21st Century Literacy
This year 21st Century Literacy has helped me get better in a variety of ways as a student at Cedar Ridge. Some of the strengths I am still developing are reading, writing and oral communication. In 21st Century Literacy I used an audio book for Flowers for Algernon because I find I’m a slow reader and having the audio book helped me. So far we have read Flowers For Algernon, All American Boys and King Lear. In writing I improved at editing my punctuation and I learned more about poetry and writing poetry, with the story we read King Lear. A strength I have is oral communication,I’m stronger at at understanding the book when it is read aloud to me. My presentation skills are a developing skill. I’m gaining strength in my awareness of what skills I need to work on. I got to now that by my own reflections, in discussion groups I need to speak more. I had notes that I never really shared with my group.I have reflected on this and i feel like I should try to improve and then I might have more confidence in my voice, in the future I will use my voice a bit more. Shauna read the All American boys book to us. I am able to picturing what happens in books, I grasp the ideas, I get the concept and the point of the story, so in this way oral communication is a strength. I find I have a loud voice but when I’m in a smaller group I tend to be silent and not say very much which I need to work on. My last strength is media interpret I found that listening to the audio book was so much easier than reading the book because the book was very hard to catch up with everyone and when we were reading King Lear we were watching plays and I found I understood the play better than I understood the book itself.
 Matilda Show Reflection 
 The show we saw was Matilda the musical at the Ed Mirvish theater in Toronto on Wednesday 2, 2016. A song that I remember is Miracle played by everyone in the show. A lyric from a different song is “ Open the door Jenny you're being pathetic, open the door Jenny…” Matilda was played by Jaime MacLean, Miss Honey was performed by Paula Brancati I found that Brancati has a very good voice. Miss Trunchbull performed by Dan Chameroy made the show very well done because he made the show feel scary because he looked scary in the show, Mr. Wormwood was performed by Brandon McGibbon he made me believe that he was really Matilda’s father, Mrs. Wormwood was performed by Darcy Stewart she was very funny and had a very energetic feeling to the show, and Mrs.Phelps performed by Keisha T. Fraser I found her roll quite funny but very well done. The general plot is that Matilda (Jaime MacLean) was uncared for her parents don’t care about her and the principal is abusive to the children and how people don’t care about her. Mr.and Mrs. Woodworm care more about their son who’s not smart like Matilda they want her to be stupid like her brother when really she’s very smart because she reads books. When she goes to school it’s not what she expected she thought it would be fun and a good time and everyone would be nice or so she thought what she didn’t know is that the teacher harmed the children and didn’t care about them. MacLean did a great job. She was so enthusiastic with her work she made it look like a true story (to me) when she changed her dad's hair colour I actually thought she did because the change was so quick I couldn’t tell that they changed it. The scene changes were great you could barely tell that it was a new scene because of how quick it was. It was incredible. The lighting was perfect when she was in her room reading a book and the light just went on her and when she was singing the song “Naughty” the light was just on her and a man who was a father. When she also went and changed the bottles from her mom and her dad’s bottles of hair colour. The costumes were well done because it showed that the story was not supposed to be happy at the start it shows that the children aren’t happy with what goes on at school. They way the children were dressed made the school look like a prison the way they acted and the way they looked. I felt like this show made it feel like a true story and it made me cry but it made me laugh as well it was so well done I could barely tell the mistakes they made, if they made any, but it was great I was very impressed and I definitely suggest it to you all. The show was amazing I can’t describe it the lighting, the acting, the music, everything was great, I can’t say anything bad because it was awesome. I would absolutely recommend for everyone to watch this show for all ages it was funny sad and happy, everyone should absolutely watch this show because it’s great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Letter

The Lost One